Required Documents

Apply for proper and approved travel documents.

Submit a copy of your Letter of Acceptance to your local Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate in support of your application for entry to Canada. Note that a study permit is not necessary if you plan to study in Canada for less than six (6) months. American citizens may obtain study permits directly at the border upon entry to Canada. You will be asked for your Letter of Acceptance, proof of citizenship, and proof of funds. Visit the Canada Immigration and Citizenship website for further information.

NOTE: Niagara is only minutes away from the American border. We highly recommend you apply for an American VISA in your home country so that you may enjoy the option of visiting our neighbours to the south while you are in Niagara Falls. For further information, visit US VISA.

Temporary Resident VISA (TRV)
Citizens of certain countries may require a Canadian Immigration and Citizenship VISA to enter Canada.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
According to the Government of Canada, “Starting March 15, 2016, VISA-exempt foreign nationals who fly to, or transit through, Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa”.

Other documents you will need to bring with you:

  • Passport
  • Airline tickets
  • VISA documentation
  • Letter of Acceptance
  • Contact information
  • Documentation/verification of accommodations
  • Medication with a medical note verifying your medication condition
  • Any other important documentation

Helpful link:
Immigration Canada Pre-Departure Guide for International Students